Located on a prominent corner in central Ballarat, Country Road’s new flagship store occupies an 1850’s Victorian bank and 1970’s Brutalist extension. A series of subtle design interventions allow the retention of both buildings, without prioritising one period over the other. A new accessible entry has been created in the Camp St facade, marked with burnt orange steel canopies inspired by the ochre colours in the nearby Black Hill cliffs. Black steel batten screens provide support for creeping vines that will become ‘green shadowlines’ between the disparate structures. Internally, bands of skylights mark the intersection of structures, while a continuous surface of blackbutt wall panelling unifies the ground level interiors. The project has a six-star Green Star Rating with the Green Building Council of Australia, reserved for “highly efficient buildings powered by renewables addressing a significant number of environmental and social issues while contributing to the community”.